Monday, September 15, 2008

Unqualified

There is this 'Kid' at work that really irritates me; I say kid, he is around 18 years old. But this particular 'kid' is lazy, cocky, and has an affinity for pretending to be the boss. He only shows up for about the last hour of work because he is still in school, but wastes no time before standing around and barking weightless orders.

It was today that I found out this kid makes only a dollar less than I do. Me, the hard working, 23 and 2/3 year living, degree having MAN, makes only a dollar more than this lazy, lowly, uneducated kid! Something must be backwards here.

It wasn't until I was driving home that I realized what a mess of pride and immaturity I was caught in.

It must have been the Spirit that brought into my mind the parable which Jesus tells of the vineyard workers (Matthew 20.1-16 (I had to look it up)). The original workers in this story were probably the most qualified of the workers, which is why they were chosen first in the day. While the last workers in the story were the least qualified, which is why they were left in the streets unhired, even towards the end of the day. Yet despite this disparity in qualifications and work, the owner still payed them equal wages.

How selfish and prideful am I to assume that I deserve more money than this man. God gives grace freely both to those who sin much and those who sin little; to those who show up early and those who show up late.

I must give up my pride in order that I may show grace and humility in this same way. For who was more qualified for the cross...me or Christ? May my eyes never be envious because of the generosity provided by the hands of God.



So the Last shall be first and the first last. -Matthew 20.16

1 comment:

Colt Westbrook said...

Love it. It's true, I felt the same way, even this morning with Starbucks "Kids". Thanks for that, it showed me something.